Helpful Tips & Hints For Self Storage Units In West Sussex
To assist you with placing your items into storage, we offer the following tips:
- Disassemble any big pieces - keeping any screws etc in labelled bags.
- Box everything to avoid losing things.
- Use proper storage boxes that won't collapse.
- Wrap china and glassware piece by piece. Put the heaviest items at the bottom and pad out corners and empty spaces.
- Label your boxes clearly and preferably on the top and on one side. Ideally make an inventory of numbered boxes and their contents.
- Always fill the box up - placing materials between items, such as paper, blankets and towels, which will help to stabilise articles in the box - always use packing to fill out any empty pockets in the box.
- Clean out fridges, freezers, ovens and food cupboards, and tape doors closed for the journey.
- Metal - Wipe down with a few drops of oil to prevent rust. (Remember to avoid leaning against vulnerable items).
- Pack paper into empty corners etc to avoid breakages. Label all boxes clearly.
- Remember that all boxes need to be picked up - therefore do not make large boxes too heavy.
In the van
- Load biggest items first and pad spaces between items.
- Fasten your load so that your packed possessions don't topple or slide around.
- Put your personal items such as your handbag, wallet, specs and keys in one bag in the cab of the van.
- How to use your self-storage space effectively
- Store largest items first.
Fill hollow items such as wardrobes with boxes – to maximise your storage capacity.
- Label and number all boxes - keep a numbered list, and stack boxes so the labels are visible.
- Store appliances clean, with doors wedged open.
- In a large storage unit leave access space - like a walkway down the middle.
- Remember to remove all perishable and inflammable goods... such as aerosols and batteries. Always place heavy boxes at the bottom of the unit if stacking the unit high.
- Large appliances - Defrost fridges and freezers thoroughly and leave doors slightly ajar to avoid bad odours forming.